Electric vehicles (EV) are the rising trend in transportation today, and there are various electric vehicle models released by EV manufacturers that offer unique features you can use to enhance your driving experience. Most EV models will come with the EV batteries that can deliver enough power for the operations of the electric vehicles. This guide will provide you with various important information about EV batteries and the EV charging station cooling fans.
The Development Trends of Electric Vehicles
Did you know electric vehicles have been around for more than a hundred years? Yes, William Morrison developed the first electric vehicle model in the United States around the year 1890. However, the speed of the first electric vehicle was still limited to around 23 kilometers per hour, which was something that made it not viable as a regular vehicle. Electric vehicles gained popularity around the year 1900 in the United States, but their popularity dwindled because gasoline-powered vehicles outperformed these early electric vehicle models.
Nowadays, we can see the massive development of electric vehicles, even more so when the popular models of electric vehicles came out in 2010 from Tesla Motors. Electric vehicles are gaining its popularity from time to time since then, and there are various factors that contribute to the increase of electric vehicles’ popularity around the world, such as the world’s transition from fossil energy to green energy, the 5G technology development, and the infrastructure development to support our transition from fuel-based vehicles to green energy vehicles.
Today, you can also find various EV charging points spread throughout the country to allow you to charge your electric vehicles during your journey. Also, you can use the home EV charging station that is suitable for your electric vehicle model, allowing you to charge your EV batteries at home and keep the EV batteries at full charge.
EV Battery – The Key Component of Electric Vehicles
Each electric vehicle needs the EV batteries to function, thus the EV battery development will always follow the electric vehicles’ development cycles. It’s necessary for the manufacturers of electric vehicles today to provide the suitable EV batteries for their EV models, because each EV battery will affect the electric vehicles’ performance in every way. A good EV battery will give enough power for the electric vehicle to use all the features, and it will also supply enough power for the electric vehicles to move the distance.
Over the years, EV batteries have undergone massive development, and they are getting better every year. Most electric vehicles today will offer the features that might drain the battery resources fast, so electric vehicle manufacturers need to come up with the EV battery and EV Charger that can deliver the power for their electric vehicle models for a longer duration. The EV batteries also need to allow the EV users to use various features in their electric vehicles without worrying about draining the battery fast.
How EV Batteries Work on Electric Vehicles?
EV batteries are the part of electric vehicles that act similar to the internal combustion engine for the regular gasoline-powered vehicles. EV batteries have the role of powering every aspect of the vehicle, including the wheel movements and tractions, the features offered by the electric vehicle, various electrical systems, navigation, and many others. The difference between the internal combustion engine of the gasoline-powered vehicles and the EV batteries is that you will need to charge the EV batteries for it to provide power for the vehicles as opposed to providing gasoline as the source of power for the vehicle.
What Are The Types Of Batteries Used In EV Cars, And Which Battery Is Best For Electric Vehicles?
There are various classifications of EV batteries, and each class of EV batteries will have their own benefits and disadvantages. Here are the EV battery types available today:
- Lithium-ion EV batteries. This is the common type of EV batteries that most electric vehicles are using today. Lithium-ion is also the type of batteries used in various devices, such as smartphones, power banks, and many others. It doesn’t harm the environment, and it is cheap to manufacture, energy efficient, lightweight, and low in temperature during operations.
- Lead-acid EV batteries. It is a suitable substitute for lithium-ion, but it has a short life cycle, making it not suitable as the primary batteries for electric vehicles. Lead-acid EV batteries are the type of EV batteries used for backup power, the one that you will use as the emergency power source for your electric vehicles. It doesn’t work well in cold temperatures, making it unreliable to use during winter.
- Ultra-capacitors. This type of EV batteries uses the polarized liquid to store energy, which is suitable for the secondary power source for the electric vehicles. However, it’s quite expensive to manufacture, and it has a short life cycle, meaning that you can’t use this type of EV batteries for the long term. It works well in cold temperatures, which means many EV users can use this type of EV batteries as the secondary power source during winter.
- Nickel-metal hydride EV batteries. This type of EV batteries is best to use for hybrid vehicles. However, there are some models of electric vehicles that use the nickel-metal hydride EV batteries as their primary power source. It is expensive to manufacture, but it offers a longer life cycle than the regular lithium-ion EV batteries, and it is also quite durable to use for the long term. However, its disadvantages include faster discharge rates and high temperature during vehicle operations.
Are EV Charging Stations AC or DC?
Most of the EV public charging stations use the AC power source that allows the EV batteries to receive the electrical power and store it inside the battery. The DC converter inside the electric vehicles will convert the AC power source into the DC power source, allowing the electric vehicles to use the DC power source as the source of operating power for the vehicle’s movements and electrical systems.
However, it’s important to note that the DC power source is always more effective in delivering power to the EV batteries in the shortest time possible until full charge. Also, it’s important to note that there are many DC fast charging stations available throughout various checkpoints throughout the country, which you can use to charge your EV batteries with faster charging time.
Does AC Charge Faster than DC?
In theory, the DC power source or the DC battery charging station will charge faster than the AC power source or charging station for EV batteries. The reason is that the battery itself will give less resistance to the DC power source that comes into it. Also, it is unnecessary for the battery to convert the power source into DC, as it’s already receiving the power using DC or Direct Current.
However, in reality, AC charging stations for EV batteries are the most common in use because it is cheaper to manufacture, and the result is not too different from the DC power source when you look at its charging capability and how it can give the EV batteries the charging power that it needs to operate the electric vehicles.
The Fan Cooling System is Essential in EV Charging Stations
Just like the EV batteries, EV charging stations also need to have a certain heat dissipation requirement for it to work with no issues. Remember, these charging stations are the tools used by the electric vehicle manufacturers to keep their EV batteries at full charge. You can find these charging stations at various checkpoints throughout the country, and the number of available charging stations in each country will depend on how well the infrastructure for green energy transportation is progressing in that country.
The most common problem you will see in most EV charging stations is the high temperature that they produce when they deliver the charging power to multiple electric vehicles. This is something that EV charging station manufacturers need to keep in mind, as the high temperature in the EV charging station can cause overheating, which sometimes can also cause an explosion. To prevent this problem, the manufacturers of EV charging stations need to equip their charging equipment with small cooling fans inside to ventilate the produced heat out during their operations.
With enough small axial fans and a good air circulation system, the EV charging stations can deliver the charging power needed by the electric vehicles while preventing the overheating problems, even when there are multiple vehicles using the EV charging station at once.
Choosing the Suitable Compact Cooling Fans for The EV Charging Stations
There are various small cooling fan models you can use for the fan cooling system inside EV charging stations, and each EV charger will need to have the suitable cooling fan modules for it to work well in dissipating heat around the EV charging equipment. What aspects should EV charging station manufacturers look at when choosing the cooling fans for their EV charger equipment? Here are some tips on choosing the suitable axial cooling fans for the EV charging stations:
- Compact and lightweight axial cooling fan. EV charging stations have unique designs and builds. However, the preferable type for the cooling fan model is the axial flow, compact and lightweight type. The compact and lightweight type of cooling fan module will provide the most cooled air for the EV charger equipment without putting too much weight into it.
- Efficiency in producing enough air volume to dissipate heat for the EV charging station. The small axial cooling fans also need to provide the large volume of air that can dissipate the heat in high efficiency for the charging station. High CFM cooling fan is preferable for the maximum heat dissipation efficiency for the EV charging stations. It needs to dissipate as much heat as possible, so the compact axial cooling fans used for the EV charging station is normally high speed for intensive operations, yet noise is not an issue.
- Custom cooling fan system with flexible design. The small axial cooling fan inside EV charger also needs to provide a flexible design that fits into various designs of EV charger equipment made by the manufacturers. Thus, a customized cooling fans with right size and air volume is necessary to provide the best cooling efficiency for the EV charging station and to keep the temperature low during normal operations.
- Reliability and durability. The compact cooling fans for the EV charging station also need to be reliable and durable to use. Reliability means that the compact cooling fans need to work at their best during both the normal and intensive operations, and it shouldn’t cause any issues, such as faulty equipment, less heat dissipation efficiency, and so on. Durability means that the compact cooling fans need to withstand the normal wear and tear for the long term, ensuring the EV charging stations to have the best cooling system for the entire life cycle.
- Working well in extreme environmental conditions. The compact cooling fans should also work well even in the extreme environmental conditions, such as during winter when the temperature is getting colder than normal or during the summer when the temperature is getting warmer than normal. It should always support the normal operations of the EV charging station in various situations.
Recommended Cooling Fans Used in Most EV Charging Stations
There are numerous compact cooling fan manufacturers worldwide producing various cooling fan models for EV charging stations today, and the cooling fan system help the charging equipment to work well in all situations. The best cooling fan modules are the ones that can provide the high air volume while keeping their compact size to fit the EV charging station design. The high cfm cooling fan can ensure that the EV charging station can work with no issues, even when they need to charge multiple electric vehicles at the same time. Here are some recommended small axial cooling fans used in most EV charging stations:
These are the recommended small axial cooling fans for various types of EV charging stations trendy today. You can find these cooling fan modules inside the EV charging stations across the United States, Europe, and other countries that have good progress in their EV infrastructures.
Shenzhen Minxin Industrial Co., Ltd is an experienced compact cooling fan manufacturer, whose cooling fans have been widely used for EV chargers worldwide. Our team of professional experts comes with years of experience in cooling fan manufacturing and engineering, which enable us to provide solutions for various applications.
Our fans and blowers have been used a lot as alternatives to models from EBM Papst, Nidec, Delta, Sunon or Sanyo Denki brands, they are widely used by customers in North America and Europe, we are confident that we can help with your projects.
Your benefits from working with us:
1. Similar specifications as famous brand but much lower in price
2. Samples available within 6 workdays
3. Flexible in customization
4. Short production time as fast as 15 workdays
5. Strict quality control, compliant with international standards, free from quality issues
6. If any defective found within our one year warranty, we will send replacement right away
7. Life time technical support
We provide a bundle of fan cooling system solutions for your EV charging station applications, contact us if you need fast supply of cost-competitive cooling fans.